Re: Wire Table

Original poster: Frank <fxrays@xxxxxxxxxx>

David, Terry, Dr. Resonance, Chip and others,

Thanks so much for the replies.

I spent hrs on Google and I am sure hrs to go and no luck on SCC and DCC wires other that "historical" references.

This table David sent was most useful as well as the one Terry sent and one other table. Both those tables list the wires in question and it is a simple matter to look at the TPI of the gage wire for the SCC and DCC wires and then find the closest enameled wire to substitute.

Even the modern wire is not absolute as the thickness of the coating changes the TPI.

DR. Resonance, I gave up on the local library around here a long time ago, yup, they do not do much on loans and just got a computer! Before that it was looking thru pages of listings and then waiting to see if they could get it.

I live in a state that does not have money and lots of land. Taxes are high and money is not for libraries and other "luxury" items. I am lucky to have a telephone that works, I swear the switchboard is 1900 vintage electrics! My area will never have gas, cable, DSL or broadband, just too few folks for the big boys to invest in. Thanks to satellite, at least I have some touch with the outside world!

It is a shame we cannot get DCC wire in varying sizes and at reasonable prices.

All the old documentation says that is the best to wind coils and the worst is enameled.

I know we all have had great success with enameled but it would be nice to see some DCC modern coils too!

Thanks to all for your efforts, links and personal emails with info!

Frank