From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 10:08 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [PHISH] Unpotting a France 12/30

Hello,

I have a couple of France 12/30?s. I want to
un-pot one of them (some of the tar is cracked
and likely leaky) and remove a few shunts to make
a cap charger with a 5x multiplier. A newer 15/60
works just fine with some serious humming­ fast
and weighs three times the France! I am wondering
if I can keep the France in the original tank and
carefully heat it in a gas powered BBQ. Ideally,
I would like to pour molten tar out and soak the
tranny in diesel, or gasoline to dissolve the
rest. I guess I will have to remove the core to
knock out some shunts and hopefully be able to reconnect the HV bushings.

If I can leave it in the original tank, I would
melt some paraffin and Vaseline together and
repot it in that. Hopefully I can squeeze 40 or
50 ma out of it and current limit the cap input
which would likely be just right. I know this is
a well covered thread; but, has anyone
successfully done this using a similar method? I
would be open to mineral oil which probably sinks
away the heat better, but the on time should be no more than a couple
minutes.

Thanks Much,
Jim Mora