RE: ARGH!!: broken wire

Original poster: "Derek" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Frosty,

"while winding a new secondary, the wire broke about 2/3 of the way up!!
what's the best thing to do? if I join it is it best to have the end of the
secondary closest to the join as the base (i.e. closest to the primary) or
use that end as the top to put the toroid on (it will be about 1.5" above
the end of the coil..), also what's the best way to join the wire?
Ouch, I hate it when that happens...."

Last time I broke a wire in the middle of a long wind, I (after a number of
attempts) soldered a really neat lap joint and carried on winding. After the
wind was completed I used about 5 coats of varnish over the joint, sanding
each time to ensure there was not a "live lump " left at the join.

I suspect it is best to leave the joint at the toroid end of the coil, as
there is usually less electric field there then in close proximity to strike
rails and primary coils.

http://www.extremeelectronics.co.uk//oltc-2/oltc.htm

The coil is still in use and has been used to create arcs of 42" even though
the coil is only 22" long.

Cheers
        Derek