Re: an interesting mechanical engineering problem

Original poster: "D.C. Cox" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

It's easy to overlap the 1/4 turn joints by 5 inches and fasten together. The overlap areas would be silver plated with Cool Amp powder. My plan at present it to use 5 inch wide x 1/4 inch copper buss bar to form the primary in 1/4 turn sections.

Brian is running the thermal rise at 3 kJ x 300 pps.

Dr. Resonance

Original poster: "Steve Ward" <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

If we want to concern ourselves with eddy losses, then perhaps a flat
vertical buss-bar type primary is better than a round conductor (just
like those ribbon primaries Terry Blake and others make, just much
thicker!).  Most of the magnetic flux leaves the primary perpendicular
to the horizontal plane, so the copper is smallest in that dimension,
reducing eddy currents.  Maybe with some training with FEMM (or other
programs) i can take a look at what kind of gains there may be to
this.

Steve