Re: ARGH!!: broken wire +

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
This is what I have done several times and it works fine.

Use some sand paper to remove the enamel coating on the very tip of the wire. Over lap the wire about 1/8" and sold them together. Make sure there is no sharp points on the wire or solder. Use a very small file to file down the solder right down to the surface of the wire if you can. Make a special effort to make sure the solder connection is smooth. Paint the solder with polyurethane varnish. Continue winding your secondary coil but leave a tiny space on both sides of the solder splice. Move 1 turn of the wire over about 1/16" from the close wound section. Leave a tiny space on each side of the splice. It will make a goofy looking place on your secondary but it will work fine.
The coil that I use for experiments has four splices. I made it with wire taken from relays. All carefully soldered with 3 mm overlap, and with one wire over the other, radially, so there is no gap in the winding. With several layers of polyurethane over the windings, there is no problem at all
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/tefp.html

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz