Re: Ball lightning in lab reported // movie clip also

Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>

Original poster: Davetracer@xxxxxxx

> I don't know how many of you read Slashdot. I found this particular
> blurb rather difficult to get to. I ordinarily would just

The earlier posting from three days ago has a Youtube link that works.
See below.

Hmmm, another thought.  If anyone has a welder (etc.) which can produce
the incandescent glowing blobs which Robert Golka's battery bank produced,
then another thing to test would be to produce the blobs inside a modified
microwave oven ...then nuke them!  The Brazillian physics group probably
isn't aware of Corum's claim that TC leaders can "inflate" a drifting Ball
Lightning.  And they might not be aware of hobbyist experiments with
microwave ovens and electrodeless plasmas:

  http://amasci.com/weird/microwave/voltage1.html

> Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Remember the discussion of Robert Golka's "ball lightning" created by
> shorting out a large battery bank over a pan of water?  And my suspicion
> that it might be no illusion, that those glowing balls *really did* start
> out large, then shrink over time?  Well, Golka should have submitted it to
> PRL, because now some physicists think the same, and they'll get all the
> credit:
>
> http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg19325863.500&feedId=online-news_rss20
>
>    Youtube version of their video:
>    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVDU-6opEqA
>

> But if anyone here has an appropriate supply, there's still something they
> can explore:  striking those balls with a TC discharge.   Corum and Corum
> noted that the small BLs that they created with two mis-tuned TCs would
> grow much larger after being hit with a streamer.

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  425-222-5066    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci