From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 3:18 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Garage door opener vs. Tesla coil

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>

I did the same. Blew one of three or four boards. It
cost $85 to replace. As far as I know, there's not
much you can do. If you have a removable antenna
that'd be a good place to start, but your whole door
and frame are probably a giant antenna. I've turned on
my neighbor's flood lights at nearly 75 feet away, set
off battery powered alarm clocks around 25 feet away,
killed a computer PSU, and have seen wrenches on my
wooden bench arc to each other while my coil was
running ten feet away.

Adam

 > Original poster: otmaskin5@xxxxxxx
 >
 > I looks like my coil murdered my garage door opener.
 > While running
 > the coil in the garage, the garage door  opened on
 > it's own & then
 > died. I now have to open & close the door manually.
 > I was careful to
 > position the coil far enough away so that no arcs
 > could strike the
 > opener or anything connected to it, and it still
 > seems to have
 > succumed to the coils effects somehow.
 >
 > My question is, other than unplugging the opener,
 > are there any
 > preventative measures I can take to protect the
 > garage door
 > motor/receiver? Or is there just no safe way to run
 > the coil indoors?
 > I imagine the repairs won't be cheap so I'd like to
 > avoid a
 > repeat.  Thx for any advice.  Dennis Hopkinton MA

<http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/1615326657x4311227241x4298082137/aol?redir=
http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eaol%2Ecom%2Fnewaol>Check