Re: Ball lightning, very close hit

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

Well, the quartzite could certainly be a factor in the phenomena. Quartz is a piezoelectric crystal and if there was lightning strikes in the vicinity, the quartz could get thrown into some kind of resonance, both mechanically and electrically. Mix that with the RF field from the radio antenna and I can imagine an interference pattern would result, with 'ripples' and the v-shaped guy wires might simply be at just the right spot to focus the mixed field and ionize surrounding air. The guy wires would certainly be inductively coupled to the antenna. Of course this is all speculation on my part. lol
Mike

I've watched it for nearly 20 minutes one summer evening.  It formed
under the V-shaped support wires to a large radio tower.  The tower
was anchored in quartzite.  After building in size under the v-shaped
grounded support wires, it would detach and move downward and outward
into the air, usually existing for 15-30 seconds before
"popping".  Some exploded with a barely audible pop and some exploded
like a firecracker.  Later we noted a large pile of leaves that were
attracted to the base of the tower suggesting electrostatics in
play.  A powerful thunderstorm followed about 10 minutes later.

No doubt in my mind --- it's a real physical phenomonena.  I suspect
it's an electrostatics related effect.

Dr. Resonance

Everyone is raving about <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=42297/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta>the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta.