RE: Flat coils & undamped waves (was Wire Length)

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

Dave,
So you are saying that if I wind two spiral coils....the first with 16g magnet wire, and one magnet ribbon coil...the same thickness of the 16g wire, but 5/16th in wide....they will resonate at the same frequency? I find that hard to believe
Mike

When it comes to winding flat spirals with ribbon wire, there is no
advantage from the extra self-capacitance because the flat wire acts
like
several coils wound in parallel, thus the inductance is decreased
accordingly.  Calculating the frequency of the flat spiral using the
Wheeler
inductance formula for flat spirals made from round wire works the same
for
flat spirals made from ribbon wire.

Dave

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49938/*http://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/>Never miss an email again! Yahoo! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail arrives.<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49937/*http://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/> Check it out.