Re: spark gap noise suppression

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx To these existing caveats, let me add that most good acoustic insulation is also good thermal insulation and an overheated gap does not quench properly.

Matt D.

In a message dated 1/28/07 4:50:53 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Original poster: <davep@xxxxxxxx>

> Has anyone ever tried to make things a little quieter when running your
> coil?
     This was standard problem/issue in early wireless stations.

> I was looking at the muffler on my central vacuum unit and it has a
> muffler that quiets the unit by about 50%.  Borrowing from that idea,  I
> was thinking about building a box lined with some type of foam with
> openings on each end.
     Commonly, in the old days, the gap was enlosed for sound
     suppression, especially when high poweres were used.
     Sometimes 'in its own room'.

     A point to Ponder is that many sorts of foam are Highly
     Flammable.  (cf the Station Night Club fire.)  I'd be
     real careful, in picking.  Perhaps 'fiberglass insulation'?

     best