Re: oudin coil (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 00:13:36 -0700
From: Frank <fxrays@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: oudin coil (fwd)

Tesla coils have the secondary independent from the primary, a true
transformer. Small TC's are actually connected in a Oudin
configuration where one end of the secondary is connected to the
primary. Larger coils have the bottom end of the secondary connected
to an independent ground.

Oudin coils are an autotransformer in configuration where one end of
the secondary is connected to the primary, in many cases the coil is
wound with a single diameter wire on the same coil form and the
primary is just some of the lower windings connected to the supply.

The big difference was Oudin coils were of a lower frequency and
produce LOTS of corona and widely used in electrotherapy.
TC's are typically of a higher frequency and produced a hotter RF type spark.

Inputs could be the same in both coils with dramatic differences in outputs.

Typically the ratio for coils is:

Tesla coil: the secondary is 3 times in length of its diameter. A 12"
dia form should have be 36" long for example.
Oudin coil: the secondary is approx 1.5 times in length of its
diameter. A 12" dia form should have a 18" long for example.