Re: For the coiler who has everything else? (fwd)...SMD (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 19:20:23 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: For the coiler who has everything else? (fwd)...SMD (fwd)

I build boards with SMD components at work (where board real-estate is a
serious cost concern). I always start the proto board with their larger
cousins. It's important to get it right the first time. Once the SMD
board is built, replacing and even troubleshooting can be a challenge
simply due to it's size. There are irons designed for several standard
SMD packages, but each iron tip is specific to a package and it quickly
gets expensive.

When it comes to coiling or other "hobbies", I personally would not use
SMD components unless I couldn't find it's larger cousin.

Tinning the smd pad is important. Use thin solder and keep the heat
down. SMD's are designed for solder paste where a template in stainless
steel is placed over the board. Holes in the template cover only the
pads. A paste is applied. The template is then removed and the board
travels to a robotic system which grabs the components and places them
in their locations. The solder paste is termed "paste" for a reason. The
component literally sticks to it. The board then travels through a heat
system which heats the solder paste and effectively solders the
components to the board pads. The board then travels to the through hole
room where any through hole components are then inserted and wave
soldered. This process works great for smd components.

I can actually see a product here. A paste and heat machine for proto
smd boards.

But if you have to replace a component for some reason on a workbench
(and you will), even the smallest pointed tip using a nice Weller
station is a real challenge. You'll find out just how steady your hand
really is. Chips are easy but those little 603 resistors and diodes are
a bear.

Helpful tip: When removing a bad smd chip. Use an exacto knife to cut
through the lead (right next to the chip). Remove the chip and then
desolder the remaining leads. This prevents accidental lifting of the
pads. Remove excess solder and add a new level of solder. Install the
new chip with typical soldering technique.

Take care,
Bart