Re: 1 gap rotary spark gap (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 17:11:40 -0400
From: David Speck <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 1 gap rotary spark gap (fwd)

Scott,

It's been tried -- doesn't work very well.  The discharge is a high
powered plasma, and tends to destroy pretty much anything that comes
into its path.  The best insulators tend not to have really great
mechanical properties when spun at high speed and exposed to a plasma
flame.

Furthermore, to minimize gap losses, you want your gaps to be as close
together as practical when firing.  If you leave room between the
electrodes for the insulator disc to move in, then the electrodes will
tend to be farther apart than optimal.

Dave