Re: Twin SSTC (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 10:30:02 +0200
From: Finn Hammer <f-h@xxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>, youngs@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Twin SSTC (fwd)

Steve, all,

With the secondaries tied to the same ground point, built and tuned to
the same resonant frequency, and driven by equally identical primary
circuits, I dont see how they would fail to produce nicely -mutually
attracting, and connecting streamers.

This all depends on the ability to turn on the trigger SCR`s, without
too big delay from 1 to the other .

I don`t have the measured data to answer that question.

The trigger arrangement of a twin T-SISG would work this way:

2 series connected IF-96 fiber optic LED`s are shining into each their
1000um polymer fiber, to bring IF-95T fiber optic receivers into conduction.
The purpose of this stage of the trigger circuitry is to isolate the
operator from the coil, and streamers hitting the ground ot the trigger
lead.
The IF-95T is situated in the front end of a pulse generating circuit,
which sends a current pulse trough the SCR trigger transformers in each
SISG stage.
This step is necessary to isolate the pulse circuit, which is at ground
level from the SISG boards, which are at elevated voltage levels.
The current pulse sent trough the trigger transformers produce the
trigger voltage on the gate of the trigger SCR.

Look here for schematic:
http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/tesla/sisg/sisg.htm

The fiber optic receiver, a IF-D95T, has a propagation delay of 8uS, and
the SCR`s, IR 16TTS12, have a turn on delay of 0.9uS.

Within these values, if they differ from part to part, it would be easy
to build an adjustable delay circuit to correct for any differences on
the component level.
So I`d dare to assume, that the Triggered SISG circuits could be made to
conduct within a 500nS or so without going to too much trouble.

A 50kHz coil has a 180deg period time of 1/100000 = 10uS so 500nS is
equivalent to a phase shift of 9 degrees.

Whether this is close enough to produce connecting streamers, I don`t
know by experience, but considering that the voltage of a sine has
reached 0.987% of peak level at 81 deg., my guess is that it is.
Actually, at 25 deg phase shift, the voltage is still within 90% of peak
difference.

Greg, did you record how big a phase shift you had, when the streamers
started to attract to each other?

Cheers, Finn Hammer

> From: S&JY <youngs@xxxxxxxxx

snip