Re: Vegas pole pigs can't take the heat (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 18:06:33 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Vegas pole pigs can't take the heat (fwd)

At 09:00 AM 7/7/2007, Tesla list wrote:

> [...]

Not usually.. the fusing/reclosers are used for "faults" (e.g. the
10kA current resulting from the arc from line to ground)..

For the run of the mill overload they just gamble on statistics.. how
much does it cost to replace the transformer, how much is the load,
what's the temperature outside.

Aggravated by the average power consumption per household going
up.  In Los Angeles, for instance, most of the distribution
infrastructure is 30 years or more old.  Central AC wasn't as common
in 1970 as it is now. If all those folks retrofit....

And, aggravated by financial pressures (as detailed by Phil in
another email).. For instance, the pad mount transformer out in front
of my house is a 25 kVA unit, and feeds 8 houses.  Fire up all 8
airconditioners (at 4-5kVA each) and you see there's a potential problem.