Re: 19 kV MOT stack? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 08:35:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: J. Aaron Holmes <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 19 kV MOT stack? (fwd)

:-?

Straight away, the "19kV from 6 MOTs" bit sets off
every alarm, but getting back to the more fundamental
"NSTs as isolation transformers" idea:  Realize that
your isolation transformers must pass every bit of
power that your MOT stacks put out.

So, if you want 19kV at 500mA from your MOT stack,
that's 19kV * 0.5A = 8kVA.  8kVA would be eight or
nine 15/60 NSTs.  If you had eight or nine 15/60 NSTs,
you could just run them all in parallel for 15kV at
8kVA, right??  You won't pull much more from a NST
than its rated power; the cores are designed to
prevent it.  If you want, you can pry the NSTs out of
their cans and modify the cores for more power,
enabling you to use fewer of them.

MOTs are onerous as it is, but...

Cheers,
Aaron, N7OE