Re: 180 BPS synch? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 18:33:39 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 180 BPS synch? (fwd)

Hi Phil,

I fully agree. There are many drive configurations out there. The HP
rating will be a sqrt(3) rating. Drives will identify the input and
output currents, voltages, and phases. Those are important specs when
selecting a drive. Not all drives are the same. There are a lot offshoot
brands. ABB, Telemechanique, Yakasawa, Seimans, Toshiba, are good brands.

Drives were built for the industrial equipment industries, but they are
also used in a variety of high end end user equipment as well. Although
at work we use them in various manufacturing equipment, about 4 years
ago I spec'd VFD's into our actual end user products. All of a sudden,
we became a serious buyer of VFD's. I'm very happy to report not a
single VFD has broken down. They are quite reliable.

I should point out, although a 3-phase motor is efficient and can be
controlled for slowing to a stop, various speeds at various positions,
changing maintaining torque at low and high speeds, and maintain
specific speeds, a simple DC Motor can be used for spark gaps as well.
My first variable speed RSG was a DC Motor simply controlled with a
variable voltage. It's a lot easier than a VFD, but the VFD does have
many control functions to do most anything you want it to. However, they
are expensive without quantity price breaks.

Take care,
Bart