Re: Hello again / New MOT coil (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:19:22 -0400
From: Jason Johnson <jasonmsusolar@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Hello again / New MOT coil (fwd)

Greg,

I tried using the level shifter type setup, but I blew two strings of diodes
within the first 30 seconds of runtime. I decided at that point to go
without the level shifter and power the coil with only 4200 volt input. This
change from 12 kvdc to 4.2 kvac input meant that I had to rewire the MMC and
the filter circuit. The MMC had already been soldered into a 3 x 10
arrangement (for 45 nF at 20 kvdc), so this limited my easy option to a 6 x
5 setup (for 180 nF at 10 kvdc). If you look at the picture of the MMC, I'm
sure you'll see why this was the easiest rewiring option. As far as the
filter circuit rewiring, I just soldered a wire across 2 of my MOVs, giving
me 8 series MOVs instead of the 10 I had previously.

Of course, going to such a low input voltage demands a big capacitor, and
very tight tolerances in the spark gap. I found that if I closed the gaps as
tight as my setup would allow, the spinning electrode would expand upon
heating and jam up in the stationaries. With this in mind, I opened the gaps
to about 0.060", and this seems to run very well. It takes about 75 volts
input with no tank circuit to fire this, and about 65 volts input with the
tank hooked up (obviously some voltage rise due to the caps resonating with
the transformers and variac).

Jason