Re: Using AC Drives - was Re: 180 BPS synch, Hatachi L100 drive (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 10:06:11 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Using AC Drives - was Re: 180 BPS synch, Hatachi L100 drive (fwd)

Hi Jonathon,

Thought I replied to this last night, but I don't think I did. So...

Tesla list wrote:

> [...]
Yes, I've been doing this for a year or so now. Adam is now running in
this mode and Hal is up and coming to do this as he now has the equipment.

>I'm an EE co-op at a place that does R&D for
>industrial machines and I've got some experience with AC drives.  I had no
>idea that anyone was using drives in their TC setups.  Is this the case?

Sure.

>Also, on the subject of ABB drives... In a machine we recently pulled out of
>production and re-worked, we replaced the ABB drives for conveyors with
>smaller, cheaper Yaskawa drives.  They are V7's.  These are really nice and
>I actually like them a lot.  Their input freq. ref. is changeable and you
>can select from 0-10V, 0-20mA, or 4-20mA.  The digital operator is decent,
>but they make good use out of a small 7-seg display.

Sounds about the norm. Yaskawa drives are quite numerous (very numerous
overseas). ABB is top dog in the states. Yaskawa may actually be the
world leader in sales.

>I'm assuming any of these you could run from two-wire 240V?

No, only those designed for it. The mass of drives will be either 1-PH
240V input or 3-PH 240/480V input. They all output 3-phase. The most
common I believe is 480V 3-PH output and their HP can go "way" up there.

So, you have to look for the right inputs and outputs for our use. Don't
try to operate a 3-PH input in 1-PH input. There are a lot of checks and
balances occurring in the drive. Don't try to run a 1-PH motor on a 3-PH
output either. This can be performed through raw 3-ph power, but not
through a VFD. It's measuring frequency, current, voltage, and all sorts
of things during it's operation. It isn't designed to be run outside
it's design.

Take care,
Bart

Take care,