Re: 180 BPS synch? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:52:18 +0000
From: David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 180 BPS synch? (fwd)

Hi Bart,

My RSG setup is very similar to yours except that my stationary
electrodes are 1/2" x 3" long tungsten mounted in brass blocks. I
believe my rotary disc is actually 11 1/2" OD with about 10 1/2"
flying electrode centers. My design is pretty much homemade and
I am NOT a machinist, so I probably can't get my flying electrodes
as close to the stationaries at each presentation as you can without
an occasional "tap" - I have to keep appr. 1/16" gap spacing to in-
sure no electrode tapping throughout the motor's rpm range. Still, I
don't see ~ 1/8" total gap spacing at each presentation as problematic
for 14.4 kV. My ballasting allows me up to ~ 20 kVA if my coil can
stand it ;^) but it seems that after a certain point, the streamers just
get brighter but not that much longer.

Keep 'em sparking,
David Rieben