Re: Conductivity of metals was: Re: propeller gap help (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 21:28:16 -0400
From: Jason Johnson <jasonmsusolar@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Conductivity of metals was: Re: propeller gap help (fwd)

Bert,

This site is much cooler than I initially realized - thanks for pointing out
the neat calculators and formula pages etc.

As a side note, the table concerning conductivity of misc. materials makes
me want to build a spark gap utilizing titanium diboribe electrodes. TiB2
has a conductivity better than silver (113% IACS), and also has a high
melting temperature of 2970 C. Its thermal conductivity is a bit low
compared to copper, but another source (
http://www.azom.com/Details.asp?ArticleID=492) says that TiB2 is resistant
to oxidation up to 1000 C. Its also quite strong with good wear resistance,
so it might make some decent electrodes, or perhaps electrode faces (they do
use it for electrodes in electrolytic production of aluminum, so that is
promising).

BTW, www.azom.com is another handy site I like, it is also where I found
thermal conductivity of TiB2.

.Jason