Re: 1/4 wave TC (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 00:37:47 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 1/4 wave TC (fwd)

Hi Skip,

Can't comment too much on your specs as there is info not listed that
makes a difference. I'm assuming from the primary spec in relation to
the secondary size that the primary is helical. If true and there's also
1/4" edge to edge spacing with the 1/4" tubing, then your looking at a
primary resonance at 171 kHz. If flat, about 206 kHz with your cap size.
But that would be odd because the 19" diameter would indicate a 9" inner
diameter with the secondary at 14". That type of coil would need to be
placed below the secondary. Thus, I assumed helical.

I noted a 55 kHz change between a double stack toroid and a single
toroid. That's a huge change in frequency! I can only assume the toroids
are separated by a good distance? Either that or I have to really
question the accuracy of the measurements.

The cap size is causing resonance of the NST on the low end. It's
slightly out on the low end but still receiving a good deal of resonant
charging. Thus, the voltage is likely far higher than 9kV output at the
cap at the time of discharge and this explains the safety gap firing.
Unlike some of the others that responded, I would not open the gap up
further. The gap is actually self limiting the voltage and has prevented
the NST from death. If you open the gap up, you'll allow a higher charge
at the cap which "will" be felt back on the hv coils of the NST. If high
enough, it will overvolt them. The only solution here I would do is to
increase the cap value between .05uF and .09uF.

To obtain a single spark channel, the double toroid is not the way to go
(the stack you show has the same radius of curvature). You'll need a
smooth toroid which is larger in size. A size of 9 x 30 might obtain
that condition.

Take care,
Bart