Re: 1/4 wave TC (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 19:10:36 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 1/4 wave TC (fwd)

Hi Skip,

One other point since the list is so slow lately. John F. mentioned
running a little larger gap with your size NST. But, what I don't think
was clear is that the cap needs to be adjusted and removed out of
resonance first. Once that is done, sure, increase the gap width. Just
don't do it with the .027uF size. I'm sure that's what John was
referring to. Just wanted to make that clear in the event it was not
assumed.

Also, we would recommend for a 60Hz, 120mA, 9kV output NST running an
SRSG a cap value of .09uF. For a static gap .05uF. When I mentioned a
value between .05uF and .09uF, that is where my info is from.

PS: Just trying to keep your NST happy. I might be sort of prone to
mentioning this at this moment because this week I killed my 12/60
(which is really a 12/200 these days, or was before I killed it).
Luckily, I potted it with paraffin and it will be a  simple task to melt
it out, find the problem, repair it, and poor that same wax back in.
Once an NST is successfully fixed and repotted with Vaseline or paraffin
potting compound, further repairs are real easy. I prefer paraffin wax
because I've had no problems with it and it cures to a hard composition.
>From my first "remove the lid diagnosis", I saw melting of the GTO cable
down to the wire which was next to a sharp corner of the core. So, maybe
a really simple fix as I've got lots of new GTO cable on hand.

Take care,
Bart