Re: MIT wireless energy transfer 'breakthrough' wrap-up and a new idea (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 23:47:38 EDT
From: Mddeming@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: MIT wireless energy transfer 'breakthrough' wrap-up and a new idea

Hi Finn,

    It is still impossible to send a reasonable  amount of power over any
significant distance at any decent efficiency. One  can, of course, dicker over
the definitions of "significant", "reasonable", and  "decent", but a few watts
over a few meters involves very different  phenomena from Tesla's vision of
millions of watts over thousands of  miles.
  Small amounts of power over short distances using Tesla  coil magnetic
fields is something that Tesla had already accomplished in New  York and elsewhere
at the close of the 19th century.  The complaint with this article, as I read
it, is one of people  claiming a technological breakthrough  for what is, in
reality, finding a  possibly marketable, modern application of a century-old
achievement of  someone else.

    While the subject of who gets credit has been  beaten to death, the
phenomenon of magnetic resonance over room-sized distances  does bring up a
possibly interesting line of Tesla-related inquiry: The  transmission of neural
impulses involve the rotation of large polarized  molecules in the surface of
neurons. Would there be an effect on nerves in the  presence of this resonant
transmission of energy?  Could this inductive  coupling affect the nervous system
of living things in the field? This could  have consequences  for practical
applications.

Matt D.

In a message dated 7/27/07 5:13:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,