Re: strike rail mystery. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 01:34:45 -0400
From: Scott Bogard <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: strike rail mystery. (fwd)

I have always wondered what happened in the unused turns of a primary, I
always just assumed there was little or nothing in there, I guess this
assumption was very false!  My coils do have several unused turns on the
primary, which I will probably trim off after I finally settle on a top
load, but my primary did not arc to anything.  My Strike rail arcs to a
grounded wire, namely the disconnected lead to the RF ground.  Unless it is
surface tracking from my primary, to the wire, and then arcing to a floating
capacitance, the primary is not the culprit, otherwise, I don't see how it
could be.  The strike rail is not a complete turn, so I don't think it is
transformer action, but perhaps it is simple magnetic induction of a wire in
a changing magnetic field?  Any thoughts on this?
Scott Bogard.

Live Hotmail.