Re: strike rail mystery. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 12:14:35 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: strike rail mystery. (fwd)

Hi Scott,

The unused turns of a coil (variac, primary, whatever) form an
autotransformer. Primary currents and voltages are high but usually only
a few unused turns are there. I expect there is more to the phenomenon
with primary's than a simple continuous wave autotransformer action
occurring. Back emf and resonances might be part of what causes
problems. I had arcing to one of my coils from the strike ring to unused
turns. I only noticed the situation in photo's and it was predominate
when a topload strike hit the strike ring. Against all good wisdom, I
quit using strike rings years ago. I'm not saying it's a good idea to
not use a strike ring, I'm simply saying I don't. The reason I don't is
because I get less strikes down towards the primary when I don't have a
strike ring. That means to me that I have less risk of component failure
due to a downward strike. Many have argued otherwise. But, I have never
had a problem ==== yet. <big grin>.

Take care,
Bart