coil form idea (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 15:02:06 -0500
From: Drake Schutt <drake89@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: coil form idea

Well this talk about coil forms got me thinking.  TC's are technically
speaking air core resonant xformers, but has anyone ever made a secondary
without a coilform?  I know it's not necessary, but it would be interesting
to see the results.  The easiest way I could think of doing this would be to
wind the secondary over a sonotube, then coat it with whatever
(dolphs?)......and throw it in a swimming pool.  That softens the cardboard
so you can just pull it out.  You would have to have a really light topload
but I still think that it's possible.  Any thoughts???  What percentage are
the actual losses in say a regular PVC coil?  I think this would be
something to do only if you were trying to max out efficiency.

Drake