Three phase Jacob's Ladder exists in Santa Barbara (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 15:43:38 -0700
From: Austin Richards <austinrichards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Three phase Jacob's Ladder exists in Santa Barbara

I have a three-phase Jacob's ladder that was given to me.  It was built by a
friend named Richard Cossel back in 1999 after we had discussed the idea.
It is about 6 feet long with gaps of about 1.5 inches at the top.  I have
fed it from three NSTs connected to three phase power. The arc that forms
looks like the inner portion of a Mercedes medallion, like the letter Y.
When I powered it up, I had the transformers wired in delta on the high
side.  All the centertap grounds were tied together.  The primaries of the
NSTs were wired in Y.

I don't have the NSTs anymore, or a three-phase source, other than renting
generators.  I'd like to build a larger version of it sometime.  Now that we
have a quarter acre lot, that seems more likely to happen.  I made a 35kW
Ladder back in 2001 for Burning Man.  it was 8 feet tall, 14 inch gap at the
top.  Worked well and the sound is excellent.

Austin

www.drmegavolt.com