Re: Non-Radiative Evanescent Waves are back in the news, Political (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 14:51:33 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Non-Radiative Evanescent Waves are back in the news,
      Political (fwd)

At 11:13 AM 6/10/2007, Tesla list wrote:

>----
>
>         For the record I ran a coupling calculation for the coils
> in their experiment and get a value of ~0.0034 [if I didn't miss a
> decimal point] so even a Q of 300 at each end would give very tight
> coupling.  No miracle, no breakthrough, no nothing.
>
>         When I get a chance I'll try to estimate the radiation from
> the transmitter.  Suspect it will be significant.
>
>Ed

I'd compare the radiation resistance of the transmitter coil to an
estimate of the resistance (from Q?)

The radiation resistance will tell you how much energy gets out into
the far field.  In theory, the ratio of radiation resistance to loss
resistance will tell you how much gets radiated vs lost as heat. And,
the Q tells you how much energy is in the field vs how much is lost.