Re: Non-copper components, was Re: Forwarded mail.... (steel components) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:42:55 +0100
From: Tom Trevethan <t.trevethan@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Non-copper components,
     was Re: Forwarded mail.... (steel components) (fwd)

Sorry, the capacitor leads are not steel. I assumed they were not
copper because
of the color (I should have checked my facts!). But as mentioned, it does look
strange when you have heavy and expensive copper wire connecting to the
MMC and
then these really thin leads going to the individual capacitors.

As for connectors in the tank circuit, I cut short sections (~2 in) of copper
pipe (3/8 diameter) and hammered one end flat and drilled a hole in it. Then I
inserted the tank wire into the other end an hammered it flat to secure
it (and
make a good connection). These connectors are then bolted onto the spark gap
electrodes and MMC.

On the subject of steel, last summer when I made my first coil, I originally
made the primary (helical) out of steel wire. This was very, very poor. Spark
output was about 2-3 in. When I replaced it with a flat copper pipe spiral,
spark output increased to 16 - 18 in (it was powered by a 10/40 nst).

Cheers,

Tom

--
Dr Thomas Trevethan