Re: 15kVA 12.6kV pole pig (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 16:21:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: G Hunter <dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 15kVA  12.6kV pole pig (fwd)

15kVA is out of my league.  I've never built one that
big.  However, getting smaller streamers with more
input power is the classic symptom of poor quenching.
You may need to attack this from two directions.

First, try something simple--like a beefy static gap
in series with your rotary gap.  I'm a big fan of the
copper pipe sucker gap based on a vacuum cleaner
blower.  This alone may fix your problem.

If you are still not satisfied with streamer size, try
additional inductive ballast on the 240vac side.  A
500' spool of #10 THHN wire stuffed with mild steel
welding rods is a safe place to start, as this
approach has been tried and described by several list
members.

If you get this fixed, please share your solution with
the list.

YT,

Greg

> Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 01:57:34 -0400
> From: timjroche@xxxxxxx
> To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: 15kVA  12.6kV pole pig
>
> i have recently went from two Westinghouse PT's
> (about 5kVA) to a 15kVA
> pole XFR. Holy Squirrelly!! i am running SRSG 3600
> RPM 4flying (.5"
> tung.)/2 station (.5" german silver). 0.1 uf
> hipotronics 70kV RMS tank
> cap.
>
> my biggest issue, besides the obvious current
> limiting, is getting the gap
> to quench. went to 8 pole flying and basically made
> a jacobs ladder around
> the rotor. like no quench at all. so back to 4
> flying. am i way off or is
> this a impedance problem on the LV side of pole XFR?
> BTW - i get nothing
> but 60 cycle hum or saturation using 220 VAC RMS
> across the LV windings.
> yet if i hook up my 220 VAC RMS with one leg on the
> CT or hooking it up
> like 110 VAC RMS, i get much better performance. for
> those interested, i
> was using a 1256 variac as voltage control and a
> 1156D as phase ajustment.
> Now i have put a 3-stack 60 amp inline current
> limit. i first put 220
> across it and turned the wipers till i was pulling
> 40 amp. then put it in
> series. it is still only a 3 to 4 foot streamer.
> with my PT's, i can get 2
> -3 streamers 6 to 7 foot long.
>
> Thoughts?
> Suggestings?
> Ideas?

> AOL now offers free email to everyone.  Find out
> more about what's free from AOL at AOL.com.

Bored stiff? Loosen up...
http://games.yahoo.com/games/front