Re: Output of Neon Sign Transformers (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 09:39:24 -0500
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Output of Neon Sign Transformers (fwd)

Tesla list wrote:
> [...]

Yes.

> I have parallel connected them, and beleive that should give a output of
> 4000V and 100mA. Right?

No - you'll get 8 kV at 100 mA

> I have used 40 x 0.047uF 1000V capacitors, 5 in string, 8 strings
> parralell.. This should give me 0,0752uF, and 5000V potential, but the
> capacitors keep blowing... Any Ideas, thoughts regarding the transformers?

You are definitely overvolting the caps. Your NST's will output 8 kV
RMS, which means that they peak output is is about 11.3 kV. However,
when your main gap fires, the voltage will then reverse as the tank
circuit "rings". To the capacitor, the rapid voltage reversal severely
stresses the dielectric-foil boundary. The voltage reversal stress is
almost like applying 2X the peak voltage, or 22.6 kV to the foil-film
boundary. To avoid damaging or destroying your caps, you need to
significantly increase the number you are using in each chain.

The number of caps in series per chain will depend on the type of MMC
capacitor you're using. If your caps use foil-film construction, you'll
want to design your MMC to have a DC rating that's 3X the transformer's
RMS voltage (or, 24 kVDC for your case). The 3X safety factor takes into
account the AC mains peak voltage, RF/ringing stresses, and the fact
that foil-film caps don't gracefully self-heal if you overvolt them.

If you are using metalized polypropylene film snubber caps (such as
recommended CDC 942C, WIMA FKP1, or Panasonic ECWH series caps), you can
reduce the factor to between 1.5 - 2X the RMS voltage. This is because
the caps will "self-heal", and dielectric failure won't cause an
immediate failure of the entire cap. However, the lower the safety
factor, the fewer hours of operating life you'll see before the caps
begin to fail from progressive dielectric failures and corresponding
reduced capacitance.

Also, make sure that your capacitors have a polypropylene dielectric
system, and not Mylar or Polyester film. If the capacitor manufacturer
says that they are simply film capacitors, they are most likely Mylar
and they'll quickly overheat and die.