Re: RF grounding (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:27:12 -0400
From: Jonathon Reinhart <jonathon.reinhart@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RF grounding (fwd)

RF Grounding.. hmm in my experience it is quite overrated.  Now don't get me
wrong, it definitely is necessary for optimal performance and safety.  But
in my work with tesla coils it hasn't been an overwhelming difference.  I
actually won my 8th grade science fair by comparing the operation of tesla
coils with and without RF grounds (connected at the base of the secondary
coil).  I will have to dig up the data, but in my results the difference was
relatively small.

When showing tesla coils, and running them in locations that you're not used
to, Grounding can be an issue.  No matter how tempting, don't connect your
RF ground to the third wire ground.  That can damage other connected
electronics.

One time I had to run my coil inside a large room in the middle of a house.
To get a decent ground, I ran some #2 Aluminum service wire outside.  I used
a simple hoseclamp to my standard ground cable on the inside, and outside I
just stuck the #2 into the end of a Cu pipe that I pounded only about 2'
into the ground.

Good luck

Jonathon