RE: Dielectric oil for a new capacitor (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 12:09:29 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Dielectric oil for a new capacitor (fwd)

At 10:21 AM 6/19/2007, Tesla list wrote:

> [...]

That seems quite expensive.  You should be able to find a local
source for suitable oil.  Last time I priced it ( a couple or three
years ago), Diala was running about $5-6/gallon in a 5 gallon pail,
plus sales tax, over the counter for pickup.

I just called the local jobber in Van Nuys, and they can get it in 5
gallon pails for $8/gallon ($40/pail).  I guess the rise in crude
prices affects us HV experimenters too...

Do you really need especially high breakdown?  (Are you filling under
a nitrogen blanket, with a vacuum pump, in a clean room, etc.... if
not, then the second you pour that oil through the air into your
widget, you've just blown the dielectric strength back to what run of
the mill oil has)