Re: Machining Delrin at home (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 20:56:59 -0700
From: huil888 <huil888@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Machining Delrin at home (fwd)

Matt -

It looks like someone at this plastics distributor is a bit confused.
Actually, this information is incorrect, both as to the breakdown
temperature and thermal decomposition products of Delrin (Delrin is a DuPont
Co. trademark for acetyl copolymer).

When heated above 230 degrees C (not 200 deg F) Delrin begins to release
formaldehyde, not ammonia. The odor of formaldehyde is very distinctive, and
causes immediate coughing and tear formation.

When burned in air, Delrin decomposes and releases formaldehyde and various
isocyanate compounds, all potentially toxic. Luckily, during machining of
Delrin, it's very hard to get it hot enough to release formaldehyde unless
you create great friction  by the use of very dull cutting tools operated at
high speed.

The only time I have ever seen any evidence of thermal breakdown of  Delrin
during machining was by the use of a very dull router bit in a high speed
router (spindle speed 25,000 RPM).

The melting point of Delrin resins is around 350 deg F, and Dupont
recommends that the molding temperature for Delrin resins not exceed 446 deg
F. So, it's probably not a good material for spark-gap electrode holders
where anything contacting the Delrin would get much hotter than about 300
deg F.

All the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for DuPont plastics (including
commonly used plastics like Delrin, Lexan, Kevlar, etc) can be found on
Dupont's website at:
http://msds.dupont.com/NASApp/msds/Mediator?sec=searchSection&sub=searchInitial

Regards,
Scott Hanson