RE: Wireless power transmission (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:52:39 -0500
From: David Thomson <dwt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Wireless power transmission (fwd)

Hi Colin,

> Beta is important in a range of plasma physics from fusion
> research (high beta good, low beta bad), to the formation of
> shock waves in interstellar plasmas, to Earth bound aurora
> (where charged particles from the sun spiral round the lines
> of the earth's magnetic field and finally impact near the
> poles where the field lines come into the atmosphere).
>
> Hope that helps,

Yes, your explanation is helpful.  What it indicates to me is that magnetic
fields play a role in the field structure of ions.  It seems we could think
of ions as beads thrown loosely about.  The ion beta would be the tendency
of the beads to be strung together with lines of magnetic flux.  The ion
beta could then be an important factor in calculating acoustic waves,
especially if there is a magnetic flux path between a transmitter and
receiver.

Another way to look at it might be that the most direct path for acoustic
transmission of power would not necessarily be a straight line to the
receiver.  It would be necessary to understand the magnetic flux paths,
particularly with a relatively weak ion field.

You also brought up an interesting point with regard to the auroras.  The
auroras occur in a relatively low atmospheric pressure over a broad space.
I would suspect the ion density in the auroras would be far less than the
ion densities near a Tesla coil, but I could be wrong.  We could use some
hard data here.

You mentioned the effect of neutral particles.  Are you saying that even
though ion densities may be greater near a Tesla coil the high density of
neutral particles causes greater inertial damping than in rarefied
atmosphere?

Dave