Re: Improved TLP250 Toshiba optocouplers for IGBT/FET TC apps (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:02:13 +0200
From: Finn Hammer <f-h@xxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Improved TLP250 Toshiba optocouplers for IGBT/FET TC apps (fwd)

Brett!

Since your interrupter is situated in your laptop, which preferably is
placed many feet away from the coil, why settle on 1/8 inch of
electrical insulation?
Run a fiber optic cable over to the coil from the laptop.

On my music coils, I do this from a Roland synthesizer to the gate
driver in the coil.

The parts you need for this are cheap and easy to use.
Transmitter:
It is just a LED in a smart housing that mates it to a 1000um polymer fiber:
http://www.i-fiberoptics.com/leds/IFE96.pdf

Detector:
this can be had as either open collector or TTL. They both have rise and
fall times of 70nS.
http://www.i-fiberoptics.com/leds/IFD95.pdf

Since I learned to use these parts, fiber optic links has been a natural
part of my projects.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Finn Hammer