Re: 3 Coil System Was: A photographic tutorial of PancakeCoilwinding...with movies...(fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 14:21:06 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 3 Coil System      Was: A photographic tutorial of
    PancakeCoilwinding...with movies...(fwd)

Hi Dave,

You asked:

>>Well, not in my experience. My 3 coil resonant transformer
>>had all 3 coils tuned to resonance with each other (they were
>>all matched in frequency) and it produced streamers just fine.
>>

>Do you have details available?  Can I see the setup from a photograph?

Yes, I have 4 video's you can look at. Just click on the still image to
open the video. You'll get a good taste of just how nerdy I really am.

http://www.classictesla.com/photos/hybrid/hybrid.html

This 3 coil resonant transformer has each coil L1, L2, and L3 designed
to the same resonant frequency. All coils are helical in geometry, so
very different from your flat coil experience. However, the same
principle applies. Look at the topload size. That is a 9" diameter
radius of curvature on a small 4.5" coil. Hard to do with a 2 coil
system, but very easy for a 3 coil system.

The 4.5" coil in this case is not just a cylinder object that is loading
the driver coils. It is also resonant to them. I ran this at low power,
so spark pics are not wonderful, but note how often only a single
streamer emerges from the topload (most of the time in the video's, it's
behind the toroid as the spark was favoring the capacitance of the
garage door opposite the camera).

Coupling of L1 to L2 (driver coils) was 0.28 which is about midway
between a 2 coil setup and a classic magnifier. This is a maggy which
"has" inductive coupling between L1, L2, and L3. That's the difference
and is why I called it a Hybrid Maggy (I just didn't know what to call it).

Take care,
Bart