Re: pig (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 14:02:47 +0000
From: David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: pig (fwd)

Gene,

These readings do not necessarily indicate a short. The
AC reactance of the counter electro-motive force (Cemf)
is what causes the resistance that allows AC of the pro-
per voltage and frequency to be fed into the coil(s) of a
transformer without the fireworks. The measured DC re-
sistance is only representative of the actual resistance of
the copper or aluminum conductors of the coils and should
rightfully be very low in a functional transformer

Also, please don't take offence to our warnings as we're
only concerned for your safety and would not want to
see you seriously injure or even kill yourself becuase of
lack of knowledge or inexperience with pole xfmrs. A pole
transformer is an entirely different animal than a TV
or CRT flyback transformer and is a few orders of
magnitude more powerful! Anyone can look at the
sheer differnece in their mass and tell this. As a TV repairman,
you may very well have been "bitten" a time or two
by the hgih voltage in the back of a television. I'm sure
that this was quite unpleasant but you were able to take
note and be more careful the next time. However, an
accidental brush with the HV output of pole transfomer
would result in a far more grave outcome for you - as in
most likely death! Most coilers start out with smaller
systems that can be driven by a neon sign transformer(s)
(NST), an oil burner ignition transformer(s) (OBIT) or a
microwave transformer(s) (MOT) and gradually work their
way up to bigger ones as they gain more experience. It should
be noted that the output of these transformers is still dangerous
but in most cases, an accidental contact with their HV out-
puts will result in a very painful, but usually survivable,
shock and possibly some burns. It should also be noted that
the output of an MOT CAN also be fatal due to their
relatively high output amperage. However, the output of
a pole pig is extremely dangerous and contact with this
will LIKELY have fatal results! Bottom line, Tesla coil
building and operation is inherently dangerous due to
the high voltages and anyone who takes on this hobby
takes on some degree of risk. However, the risks can
be managed to acceptable levels if proper precautions
and safety procedures are taken and followed. Playing
around with pole xfmrs without really knowing what one
is doing definitely places one in a risk category that's far
beyond reasonable!

Happy Sparking but be careful,
David Rieben