Re: Jonathon's 6" Coil (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:55:15 EDT
From: FutureT@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Jonathon's 6" Coil (fwd)

In a message dated 6/26/2007 11:57:51 P.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Jonathon,

Thanks for your report.  I agree that folks often set their safeties  too
close when
using SRSG's.  Provided the correct LTR cap value is used, the safety  should
fire only if something goes wrong of if the coil is phased up  wrongly.  Once
the
phase is *close*, then the safeties can be widened a little.  Most of  the
problems
in the past with NST's  going bad were probably due to such things as;  1)
erratic firing with static gaps or non-sync rotaries,  2) running with  a
pure resonant
cap value.  The safeties can be widened until the max spark length is
obtained,
at least that's how I run my coils.

John

Points  for improvement have been noted, however.  When adjusting the SRSG,  I
keep getting longer and longer streamers, but then the safety gaps  start
firing.  I believe I have them set too conservatively far  in.  I think I
will open them up some.  Also, my topload is 4"  aluminum dryer duct around
standard-sized pie pans.  I have some 6"  aluminum flexible duct work (HVAC
style) that is more ridgid, and longer,  so I can stretch it out around a
larger  pizza-sized pie  pan.

Glad to be playing with ~0.75MV again  :-)

Jonathon