Re: grounding miscellaneous stuff (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 02:21:06 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: grounding miscellaneous stuff (fwd)

Hi Scott,

Think of RF ground as a "dedicated" ground. First and foremost, that
means mains ground and RF ground are never physically connected. For
motors (even RSG's placed underneath a coil stand), ground the motor to
mains ground. Also, use a small filter rated for the motor if you have
one handy on the input side to the motor (I mount this next to the motor).

I use RF ground for the center tap on NST's. Some do and some do not. I
connect only the two hots to the NST from the house wiring. If you do
this, always make sure you connect RF ground to the coil, otherwise it
will find a path back to the house and will "not" have a clean path to
mains ground (and then household electronics suffer). If you run the
coil in this configuration and forget to connect RF ground to the coil
like I did not too long ago, you might lose a computer and XBOX 360
(hint, hint). But, if it is connected to RF ground, all is good.

On my pole pig, I have a 2 eared pig. I connect 1 ear to RF ground and
the case to RF ground (I like to keep the inner winding of my flat
primary at the same potential as the bottom secondary turns, and it
allows only 1 hot wire to be distributed to the cap). Many don't run
with this configuration on pigs. I keep mains ground only at the
components that "I" am in contact with. The current ballast is where
mains ground ends. If I connect mains ground to the pig (with 1 ear RF
grounded), the coils RF base currents will be felt back to the
controller cabinet and little shocks will occur, and they get stronger
with higher power. By keeping the pig case at RF ground and not running
mains ground to it, I eliminate those shocks. They simply do not have a
path back to the controller. However, if I also forgot to connect RF
ground, they would find a path (so never let that happen).

You don't need to run a 2nd RF ground for your center taps. There will
be a potential difference in the ground currents between 2 different RF
grounds that are not connected together. Eliminate the potential
difference by eliminating the extra rod or by connecting the main RF
ground to that rod.

Take care,
Bart