Re: non sync rotary.....

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

At 4-9.9 kVA I use a 12 inch dia rotor, 11 inch center to center electrode spacing, single gap (2 gaps on one side of the rotor), series connected, and above 10 kVA we run dual gaps with all 4 of them hooked in series. At around 25 kVA you need a 36 inch dia rotor with 1 inch dia electrodes in rotor, and 4 inch dia electrodes on stationary holders.

We use a variable, adjustable current reactor, 20 kVA, to see how much current we should set the pole xmfr at. Usually, the more current you can feed the cap the better the output --- right up to the point where you begin to overheat the electrodes and the quenching becomes poor, then performance decreases. If possible, use a tapped reactor or adjustable core reactor to see what current point works best for you coil setup. It varies a lot from design to design.

Dr. Resonance

Dr Resonance,

I have a 8" coil with a retired NST farm and air blown gap. I plan to run
async with a 14400v 5kva GE instrument transformer. I assuming at those
break rates the Cap value must be keep small enough to reach a reasonable
charge level. This is no 25KVA transformer like you use! Please explain how
your gaps are connected. I have seen it but don't remember.

This same async gap will be used on my DC powered 12" coil at 28kv. I don't
know the KVA yet though it will be running on three phase. I have 12 1.5" x
.5" pure tungsten electrodes for the rotor which is 5/8 18" G10. The motor
is a variable speed Permanent Magnet type DC using PWM control though I have
several other motors if the velocity electronics fail.

Thanks,
Jim Mora