Re: do it yourself caps --- an ozone health risk!

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx In a message dated 3/15/07 11:50:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

SNIP>>>>>

If running in a garage with a door open, the cheap do it yourself caps
with alum. foil would work, but since MMC caps are so inexpensive to
begin with there is no reason for the risk at all.

Dr. Resonance

Hi Doc,

Yes, care needs to be taken with anything that generates dangerous fumes, but I think you're overlooking a couple of big factors: There are those for whom one or two hundred dollars or so, is a trivial expense, and then there are those who have to budget carefully for the case of beer to make their caps. As long as there are coilers in both these economic groups, and those in between, there WILL be bottle caps. Then there are those who, even today, wind their own motors, build crystal sets and vacuum-tube radios, and make bottle-based capacitors, wind TCs with DCC wire, restore Model-Ts, build harpsichords, etc., because for them, making stuff that works out of simple items is what's fun (people like my grand-kids).

Matt D.

"The man who sees wild Indians behind every tree is probably a gun salesman". attr. to Mark Twain

AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at <http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000339>AOL.com.