Re: Tesla at www.poweroverwireless.com D

Hi Ed,

I find myself agreeing with you again. That phrase "
"a lot of people are advocating "further study", presumably with someone else's
money."
sounds just like a number of the "fringe" science advocates here on the list.

Matt D. "

Hi Matt:

This particular subject (power transmission via high power microwave) isn't QUITE as "fringy" as some topics I've seen discussed. I've been involved in a couple of studies involving transmitting power to a high altitude (60,000 foot for example) airship to enable it to remain in position (needs propulsion to overcome prevailing winds) and power on board surveillance radars. If normal fueled engines are used the "time on station" can be quite limited because of fuel exhaustion while with the continuous mocrowave power supply that problem is eliminated. The scheme would employ transmitting antennas of the order of 100 feet or more in diameter and covering the surface of the airship with receiving "rectannas" and the overall efficiency would be of the order of only 10% but there's still a remote chance it might be the best approach to the problem. In this particular case a number of different people are spending money, including their own. Just maybe something will be done along these lines in the next few years.

This is clearly a situation in which Tesla's original scheme, if it could have worked, would solve a very real problem.
Unfortunately..............

Ed

Pretty far off subject I'm afraid.