Re: Not a Toy

Original poster: westland <westland@xxxxxx>

I play around with RC helicopters as well as Tesla coils, and I think there is a shared philosophy of manufacturers that you want final assembly to be done by the purchaser, and you don't want it to be simple. Why? Because anyone who actually gets these things working properly is going to know enough (at least when they are finished) to minimize the possibility of hurting themselves and others. I agree with Jonathan, that eventually the sale of these completed units could eventually result in laws banning any Tesla coils ...

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Jonathan Peakall" <jpeakall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I totally agree.

While it is a hackneyed analogy, anyone can go buy a car. Or any of many
dangerous things. Just the battery in your car can maim or even kill ya, let
alone speeding along at 70 miles an hour. And a car has a far greater chance
of killing someone other than the operator.

If enough folks get killed by the new Tesla coils, then someone will make a
law about it. Just like with cars. In the begining, there was no regualtion.
Now we have licences, insurance requirements, minimum saftey standards, etc.
While I don't want to see coiling regulated (nor do I think it will be
anytime soon) if that's the way it goes, I'll just comply with or defy the
law, as I see fit. If I defy it and get busted, I'll pay the price.  I
ignore the local potato gun laws. Of course living in the middle of the
woods, no one knows if I am playing with a Tesla coil or not , or firing a
potato cannon. :-0

In any case, there are already laws that pertain to the safety of electrical
devices specifically, and all things in general. If those don't work, don't
worry, they will add more.

All of that said, it very much behooves all of us to promate saftey in every
way that we can. Not primarily because we are worried about coiling laws,
but because we don't want to see anyone get hurt. So, sending email to the
seller reccomending that they add stern and strong saftey warnings, make
sure they are aware of the liabailty that they are exposing themselves to
would be a good idea. Making sure all of our websites have strong and stern
warnings is a good idea. So is promoting general HV knowledge, practices and
techniques. In the end, education is the only tool we have to prevent
needless deaths.

As they say, just my two cents.

Jonathan
www.madlabs.info

Some people are like a Slinky .. not really good for anything,
but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

--

J. Christopher Westland, PhD CPA
Professor, ISMT, University of Science & Technology, HK Clearwater Bay,Kowloon, Hong Kong