304tl experiments...

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2@xxxxxxxxx>

All,

I've mostly been doing solid state work these days
(yes, I've finally caught the fever...and it looks to
be an affliction I may have to live with a long time),
however, I had the urge to do some tube coiling today.
 I am waiting on some MOSFETs and a spool of wire, so
it was a perfect time.

I've had this 304tl burning a hole in its box for
quite some time now, and I thought it might do just
fine as a drop in replacement for the 833A in my vttc
system.  Since I had really good luck with a single
813 ab(used) in this same manner (until I ran one hot
for 3 minutes and arced it internally) I saw no reason
not to try this with my 304tl.  Plus, if it dies, I'll
just get another off of ebay...this particular tube
was donated to me by a friend in the amateur radio
hobby.  Anyway, here's the initial result...it's and 8
meg file, if anyone can't view it and you'd really
like to, I can provide you with a compressed version
off-list:

http://www.hot-streamer.com/brett/vttc/304tl/304_sparks.avi

Same specs I have always had, and no change to the
grid leak system yet.  The plate runs hot at 60pps
with this tube.  It really cries out for staccato.

This reminds me.  I had an idea.  What about using an
interrupter with a suitable SCR, with some good
isolation between the SCR and the interruptor.  If you
ran this on a CW system, would you have the freedom to
try out different bps and pulse width similar to an
SSTC?  You wouldn't have to worry about zero crossing
since the filter cap (if it was plenty large enough)
could deliver the energy you needed for many duty
cycles?

-Brett

Need Mail bonding?