Re: Jacobsladder-Oscillator

Original poster: "Kurt Schraner" <k.schraner@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Bart,

keeping the wires moving without causing an arc is easy: If you watch the movie again (preferably in double or fullscreen size, with something like i.e. "real-player") you can notice, Andi switching on and off the Andiruptor, in the rhytm of the Eigenresonance of the JL, till the arcing starts. If he waits pushing the JL _before_ arcing occurs, but continues his action, when the oscillation-amplitude has decreased a noticable degree, the JL can be kept oscillating as long as one likes, without arcs. We have no measurement of the voltage applied to the JL. But the movement occurs at a significant level below the arcing voltage (if going low enough, this even might represent a way to coninue the arc-less mech.oscillation, by continuously switching the coil). But in practice, we normally adjust the HV, just not to arc at the lower end of the JL. There is sound with the movie, which records the manual switching of the coil and its operating frequency, but no discussion. Anyway the sound is helpful in understanding the experiment. Thank you for your response.

Cheers, Kurt

Tesla list wrote:

Hi Kurt,

I've been thinking about your experiment and I'm curious, can you
keep the wires moving without causing the arc? If so, does it occur
at a significant level below the arcing voltage or just under it?
When I viewed the video in your original post, I couldn't identify
(if the video had audio which discussed it, I would have missed it
due to my sound card on this old pc is dead).

Thanks,
Bart