Re: ARSG Questions

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Yes, forward your phone number off-list, and I will call some evening and explain (I have Vonnage so no cost). Too much typing to explain completely.

I will also send you some photos off-list as the list does not accept attachments.

I missed your kVA but then saw the attached javatc design data. At 25 kVA you can run the same spark gap we use on Big Bruiser --- see You Tube and do search for Big Bruiser. Stationary gaps not necessary.

Your rotating path diameter is way too small. You need higher velocity on the electrodes and a 4 gap design --- 2 on each side plus all four series connected. At this power level you would also achieve considerable gain by going to a 24 or 30 inch dia. secondary.

Dr. Resonance

I've noticed a number of large coils use arsg's with
no problems, while others seem to need a static gap in
series with their arsg. Mine seems to be the latter.
Does anyone know why some need this and others don't?

My 10" coil used this gap:

http://www.hot-streamer.com/adam/bigass_coil/srsg.jpg

modified to use a 3 phase 1725 rpm motor for between
120 and 460 bps. I've tried various rsg gap spacings,
but adding a series static sucker gap makes it run
very smooth. Unfortunately, my coil is so loud, I have
to limit my runtimes to several hours a week. That
limits my ability to make modifications and try them
out, so I'm trying to leach info from folks who have
already figured this out.

Has anyone had any luck running all four gaps in
series on an ASRG similar to mine?
How about two sets in parallel?
What gap spacing are most folks running on their ASRG?
For folks running a series static gap, what type,
number of gaps, and total spacing have you found work
best?

My specs are here:

J A V A T C v.10 - CONSOLIDATED OUTPUT
Monday, July 04, 2005 7:48:44 AM

Units = Inches

Surrounding Inputs:
120 = Ground Plane Radius
120 = Wall Radius
120 = Wall Height
120 = Ceiling Radius
120 = Ceiling Height

Secondary Coil Inputs:
Current Profile = G.PROFILE_LOADED
5.375 = Radius 1
5.375 = Radius 2
23 = Height 1
76.25 = Height 2
1235.4 = Turns
18 = Wire Awg

Primary Coil Inputs:
7.125 = Radius 1
16.421 = Radius 2
21.5 = Height 1
21.5 = Height 2
8.75 = Turns
0.375 = Wire Diameter
0.075 = Primary Cap (uF)
0 = Desired Coupling (k)

Top Load Object Inputs (dimensions & topload or ground
connection):

Toroid #1: minor=6, major=24, height=79.5, topload
Toroid #2: minor=8, major=34, height=85.625, topload

Secondary Outputs:
79.96 [kHz] = Secondary Resonant Frequency
90 [deg°] = Angle of Secondary
53.25 [inch] = Length of Winding
23.2 = Turns Per inch
0.0028 [inch] = Space Between Turns (edge to edge)
15 [awg] = Recommended Wire Size
3476.8 [ft] = Length of Wire
4.95 = H/D Aspect Ratio
22.2 [ohms] = DC Resistance
36693 [ohms] = Reactance at Resonance
37111 [ohms] = Forward Transfer Impedance
17.09 [lbs] = Weight of Wire
73.034 [mH] = Les-Effective Series Inductance
69.885 [mH] = Lee-Equivalent Energy Inductance
76.845 [mH] = Ldc-Low Frequency Inductance
54.246 [pF] = Ces-Effective Shunt Capacitance
50.742 [pF] = Cee-Equivalent Energy Capacitance
83.953 [pF] = Cdc-Low Frequency Capacitance
9.2 [mils] = Skin Depth
40.647 [pF] = Topload Effective Capacitance

Primary Outputs:
79.96 [kHz] = Primary Resonant Frequency
0 [%] = Percent Detuned
0 [deg°] = Angle of Primary
53.93 [ft] = Length of Wire
0.688 [inch] = Average spacing between turns (edge to
edge)
1.75 [inch] = Primary to Secondary Clearance
53.009 [uH] = Ldc-Low Frequency Inductance
240.616 [uH] = Lm-Mutual Inductance
0.119 [k] = Coupling Coefficient
8.4 = Number of half cycles for energy transfer at K
52.08 [uS] = Time for total energy transfer (ideal
quench time)

Transformer Inputs:
240 [volts] = Transformer Rated Input Voltage
14400 [volts] = Transformer Rated Output Voltage
17361 [mA] = Transformer Rated Output Current
60 [Hz] = Mains Frequency
280 [volts] = Transformer Applied Voltage
50 [amps] = Transformer Ballast Current

0 [ohms] = Measured Primary Resistance
0 [ohms] = Measured Secondary Resistance

Transformer Outputs:
249998 [volt*amps] = Rated Transformer VA
829 [ohms] = Transformer Impedence
16800 [rms volts] = Effective Output Voltage
50 [rms amps] = Effective Input Current
14000 [volt*amps] = Effective Input VA
3.198 [uF] = Resonant Cap Size
4.797 [uF] = Static gap LTR Cap Size
8.3389 [uF] = SRSG LTR Cap Size
11513 [uF] = Power Factor Cap Size
23755 [peak volts] = Voltage Across Cap
83975 [peak volts] = Recommended Cap Voltage Rating
21.16 [joules] = Primary Cap Energy
895.2 [peak amps] = Primary Instantaneous Current
181 [inch] = Spark Length (JF equation using Resonance
Research Corp. factors)

Rotary Spark Gap Inputs:
1 = Number of Stationary Gaps
8 = Number of Rotating Electrodes
3600 [rpm] = Disc RPM
0.5 = Rotating Electrode Diameter
0.5 = Stationary Electrode Diameter
7.75 = Rotating Path Diameter

Rotary Spark Gap Outputs:
8 = Presentations Per Revolution
480 [BPS] = Breaks Per Second
83 [mph] = Rotational Speed
2.08 [ms] = RSG Firing Rate
7.56 [ms] = Time for Capacitor to Fully Charge
1.38 = Time Constant at Gap Conduction
0.68 [ms] = Electrode Mechanical Dwell Time
74.79 [%] = Percent Cp Charged When Gap Fires
17766 [peak volts] = Effective Cap Voltage
11.84 [joules] = Effective Cap Energy
683024 [peak volts] = Terminal Voltage
5681 [joule*seconds] = Energy Across Gap
203 [inch] = RSG Spark Length (using energy equation)

Static Spark Gap Inputs:
0 = Number of Electrodes
0 [inch] = Electrode Diameter
0 [inch] = Total Gap Spacing

Static Spark Gap Outputs:
 [inch] = Gap Spacing Between Each Electrode
 [peak volts] = Charging Voltage
 [peak volts] = Arc Voltage
 [volts] = Voltage Gradient at Electrode
 [volts/inch] = Arc Voltage per unit
 [%] = Percent Cp Charged When Gap Fires
 [ms] = Time To Arc Voltage
 [BPS] = Breaks Per Second
 [joules] = Effective Cap Energy
 [peak volts] = Terminal Voltage
 [joule*seconds] = Energy Across Gap
 [inch] = Static Gap Spark Length (using energy
equation)

thanks
Adam

It's here! Your new message!