Re: Rf ground

Original poster: <davep@xxxxxxxx>

9This needs, prehaps, broader comment...)
> Hello everybody,
>      Here is a probably silly question.  What would the effect be of
> putting a capacitor or inductor in series, between the bottom of a
> secondary coil, and the earth.  From what I understand of "resonant
> circuits, assuming zero resistance, once it got rolling power would
> jump between the top load (capacitor plate "A") and the secondary
> (inductor), and would return between the earth (capacitor plate "B")
> and and the secondary via the RF ground.  I am not an electrical
> engineering major, so I do the best I can to understand this
> stuff.  I tried putting a capacitor (salt water cap, 1 pint mason jar)
  To evaluate this, one would need to know the approximate
  freq of the coil.  One pint seems smallish to pass much current.

> in my RF ground once, and the output was the same, except it needed
> re-tuning of the primary, but that particular coil would
> almost work without an RF ground as it was very small.
   There is 'always' an RF ground.  8)>>
   Its either designed, or accidental/incidental.
    (OK:
     arguably excepting coil inside proper Faraday Cage.)
   If its not designed in, its taking place thru stray
   capacitance, of transformer, affected by stray
   inductance of line cord, etc...

   best
    dwp