Re: ARSG Questions

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx In a message dated 3/27/07 7:56:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>

Thanks. I just added another 30 Hz to my VDF setup, so
I can go from 30 to 150, with a 1725 RPM motor. That
will allow breakrates of up to 575. At current power
levels, I get better length at around 70 - 80 Hz,
which is around 280 bps. I started this coil back in
2003 if I recall. While I say I've played with gap
spacing some, I kinda concider this weekend to be
first light, as I was unable to get the rsg to "keep"
the spark, as my safety gaps always took over. I'll
keep playing and will look for a big resistor to use
in line with my welder. I'vwe always read about some
folks needing resistive ballast, but I thought that
was just to keep their welder happy. I have two slide
chokes that I plan on using instead of my welder. Do
they also need the resistive ballast, or is this more
of a welder ballast issue?

Adam

Adam,

I'm not sure about the slide chokes.  The electrode
speed could be too low at the lower break rates too,
for the particular ballast setting.  I see that Dr.
Resonance also suggested that a higher electrode
speed may be helpful.  For all I know, maybe the
use of resistive ballast is a "compensation" for
other flaws in a system.  It's mostly to keep the
transformer happy and give smoother operation.
I did experience some
thumping in my pole pig at about 5kVA with an
ASRG and a homemade inductive ballast choke.
I wasn't using any resistive ballast.  I did notice
that when I "offset" my fixed electrodes (so that
one was reaching a spinning electrode when
another was leaving a spinning electrode), that this
reduced my input current from about 16A to about
13A, and the current draw was steadier.  Spark
length remained the same.  So I was probably
getting some re-firing of the gap before I put in
the offset....   So this suggests that with wide
electrodes, a pretty fast electrode speed can be
required, depending on power level and capacitor
charge rate, gap spacings, etc.

John